Saturday, August 29, 2015

I Think I Can!

    The first read aloud and first concept explored in first grade is an important one.  On the first day of school, we read the book The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper.  (Click on the story's title to see a video version of the book).  The story is about trying your best and not giving up.  We discussed in length how first grade will have some challenges and how the students will accomplish so much by putting in their best effort and having an "I can" attitude!  
    At school, we are building a large train to hang in the front of the classroom.  On the engine we wrote as a class, "I think I can."  Then, each train car will have one of the children's pictures and his or her writing.  If we ever find something really challenging, we can point up to our class "I can" train and remember this important lesson.  The students also built a train to take home and share the lesson with you!  One fabulous first grader even hung her train on her door to help her remember her "I can" attitude everyday!  I hope you had a chance to talk about this wonderful book.
Complimenting our "I can" attitude, the first graders have really enjoyed singing and watching this video called "Don't Give Up" with Bruno Mars.


No comments:

Post a Comment