Sunday, December 7, 2014

Grinch Day




We had a terrific Grinch day!  It was a busy, joyful day!  We started the day making a Grinch craft.  I just gave the children the paper and tracers...but no directions.  In the front of the room, I put up the finished example.  I love to see them work through and problem solve to figure out how the pieces go together.



Of course, we read the great book How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  I have the book as an app on my phone.  The book is on sale for $1.99 on the app store.  I love the OM Book apps because the students can read along with the book.  Click here to link to the book in the app store.



After reading the story, we talked about how the Grinch didn't have joy.  Together we brainstormed a list of things that bring us joy.  Then, the students made their own lists.   They worked so hard.  We used our joy lists to complete the morning craft.  We wrote on the Grinch's smile how we would make the Grinch grin.



Here are some of the excellent examples.  
I would make the Grinch grin by telling him jokes. 
  I would make the Grinch grin by showing him love.
I would make the Grinch grin by taking him to school.
I would make the Grinch grin by showing him joy.
I would make the Grinch grin by showing him my family. 


We made some magic Grinch dust to keep the Grinches away this Christmas.  To make Grinch dust you need a small bag of something sweet.  Then you add two drops of love and two drops of joy.  You must hug the love and joy in the bag until it turns green.  I have to ask you to do the last step at home.  Sprinkle the Grinch dust on your lawn Christmas Eve to keep the Grinch away and keep all your Christmas joy.



We also had an enormous QR hunt with Ms. Frey's class.  The Grinch tried to steal our Christmas by scrambling all our Christmas words and sight words.  We had to hunt all around the first grade classrooms to unscramble all the words.




It was such a wonderful day.  Check out the slide show below to see more images from our Grinch Day!

Grinch Day on PhotoPeach

No comments:

Post a Comment